Welcome to our interactive website for speech and language therapy teaching. We offer a visual approach to learning about speech articulation and speech disorders. STAR provides speech and language therapy teachers and students with videos of speech to support learning around articulation, phonetics, transcription and speech sound disorders. STAR contains ultrasound tongue imaging (UTI) and lip video of speech, real-time magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) video of speech, and 2D midsagittal-head speech animations based on real-time MRI recordings.
The website resources:
- Introductory materials - an introduction to UTI and MRI vocal tract imaging techniques and information about the production of the articulatory animations.
- Interactive charts linking to UTI video, MRI video and MRI-based vocal-tract animation:
- UTI and lip camera databases:
- Non-disordered speech database
- Child speech disorder database
- Child speech-error database
- Central Scottish Phonetic features – a set of integrated UTI and lip-camera videos showing examples of phonetic variation in Central Scottish child speech.
Creation of this resource
STAR is the product of a collaboration between researchers at three Scottish Universities: the University of Glasgow, the University of Strathclyde and Queen Margaret University Edinburgh, and is funded by the Economic and Social Research Council’s (ESRC) Secondary Data Analysis Initiative (SDAI). It includes material collected with funding from the ESRC, EPSRC, AHRC, CSO, Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland, Action Medical Research and the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
All content on this website is for educational purposes only and is not intended to aid speech-disorder diagnosis. Always consult a professional speech and language therapist.
How to refer to this resource:
Lawson, E., Cleland, J., Stuart-Smith, J. (2023). STAR teaching: a Speech Therapy Animation and imaging Resource. Glasgow: University of Glasgow. Accessed 26th February 2024. https://seeingspeech.ac.uk/speechstar/